BMRR#2 – Model Railway Room Progress

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the feedback my last railway room update received, both here on my blog and on Youtube and elsewhere; lots of people are keen to see how things develop.

Since my last update I have been trying to focus my attention on the first Area I outlined in my previous report; a passing area for the two main loops that will form my layout, an area that will also double as a shunting yard amongst other things.

I originally planned this area with the Peco medium points I had available but I discovered these were too long and the whole system would take up more space than is available.

I then decided on a full set of points for one end of the yard, and a combination of points and crossings at the other, since short crossings would provide some of the versatility I was looking for but take up far less length.

And take up far less length they do, but the downside is the size of the gap between the tracks, I have discovered, is more than double when doing it this way. This isn’t so much of a problem in itself because, while it means I have to leave out the extra fifth track I had in mind, the depth of the narrow base board is just about wide enough. The problem is, when we come to the other end of the yard where the full compliment of points needs to exist, in order to smoothly link between each set of track, the points have to be placed wide apart.

Three tracks takes up the same length as four with crossings.

With points being spread out like this, the importance of shorter points becomes apparent. I have therefore been trying to get hold of short sets of points, but it turns out that Peco short points are quite sought after when buying second hand, which is the approach I’m taking to keep costs down.

I’ve been gradually getting hold of other sets of points of different brands, trying to get enough of one kind for what I need, which is seven sets for one end and two sets for the other where the crossings are.

And, just this week a bundle of the necessary points were delivered, so I can actually start joining everything together now. I will update you on this in my next video.

An added complication now is that these points are of the Fleischmann brand, which I like the look of with the included ballast effect (negating the need for actually ballasting between the points, which can be tricky enough), but the mechanisms are different to the Peco ones and the Peco-style point motors wont work directly with these, although I have some ideas as to how to make them work, again, I’ll show this in my next video.

I need to make my points work with Peco seep motors because I have plenty of these ready and waiting. While I’ve been waiting for points to turn up, I’ve been wiring and testing a bunch of second hand point motors, again, to keep costs down.

I’ve also been keeping myself busy by assembling the flying boat I mentioned in my previous video.

It was a fun side project to work on with the engines being fiddly enough to keep me amused, and with six of them no less.

This 1:144 scale model will feature somewhere on my layout in the future, along with the other models I have.

Finally, I did try and make a start on the back scene wood, since I had some thin sheets from the backs of old cupboards; enough for my shelf area and two corners of my layout, but my jigsaw decided to give up: I thought the blade had simply come out but no, the part the blade fits in has detached itself and I can’t see how to fix it. No worries, another jigsaw has arrived, so progress here can resume!

Here is the next instalment:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s